Brake light switch F

Deylan
Finally has his VR6.

Brake light switch F

Post by Deylan »

The brake light switch sends information to the DIGISWING control unit about whether the brake pedal is pressed. As far as I know this switch is used to tell the control unit to open the clutch earlier when the brake pedal is depressed in engine braking mode (Ecomatic off). I suspect it has no relevance on clutch or engine operation in ecomatic mode.

I have confirmed this, the point of clutch operation (opening) is at a higher RPM when the brake pedal is depressed.
"I've been guilty of hanging around...."
Hajo06
Ecomatic Owner

Re: Brake light switch F

Post by Hajo06 »

The stoplight switch sends special information to the DIGISWING.
Engine isn't strangled with the braking not.
Engine speed while the braking under idle-running speed - clutch is opening.
Hajo
Deylan
Finally has his VR6.

Post by Deylan »

Hi Hajo,

I've never seen any evidence of it doing this, is it used primarily when ecomatic mode is off? In what gears?

I have tried to see what it does in 1st... but never saw any difference whether the brake pedal is pressed or not.

Since the clutch is opened anyway as soon as the accelerator is released when ecomatic is on...
Deylan
Finally has his VR6.

Post by Deylan »

The purpose of this switch still puzzles me slightly.

As you and the SSP rightly says, when the switch is activated the clutch does open sooner than it would normal, I have noticed this mostly in 2nd gear, however I do not see a massive purpose in doing this, because the clutch is opened anyway at a speed when the engine begins to labour. The speed in which the clutch is opened means it shouldn't rely on this switch for advance warning.

I am fairly certain the switch plays no purpose in Ecomatic mode.

I can only think there is another obscure engineering reason why it was put into the design to counter for an unusual driving condition, that I am possibly overlooking.