Gear display / recognition switch F208

Deylan
Finally has his VR6.

Gear display / recognition switch F208

Post by Deylan »

The gear display switch (also known as the gear recognition switch) reports to the DIGISWING controller what gear is currently engaged, or the neutral gate it is in.

Specifications: R, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, NG* 1-2, NG 3-4

*Stands for neutral gate.

This data is required to prevent an initial start of the car with a gear engaged, and also to turn the engine off when neutral is selected, as well as clutch operation. It is highly likely that the ECU can use this data in the case of absense of the gearbox speed sender to calculate (using the road speed sender) the optimal time to close the clutch as the engine RPM increases to match gearbox speed.

Additional information

When the ignition is turned on the digiswing control unit immediately checks what gear is selected, if the car is in gear, the clutch is not opened, this is presumably a safety-feature in the event that the vehicle is parked on a slope and is being held by a selected gear, if the clutch was opened, the vehicle may immediately start to roll, this check prevents this from happening, the ECU then relies on a signal from the gear operating switch (someone attempting to change a gear) to operate the clutch to allow them to change gear. On the other hand, if the car is in neutral, the clutch is immediately opened in preparation for an engine start (reduce load on starter motor).

It is possible for a fault code to be set for this switch even if it is working correctly, this usually happens if the driver has been "playing" with the gears at a stop, not selecting them properly or only momentarily, causing the gear display control lamp to flash a lot. They may then find all the warning lamps blink as the fault code has been set. This is because the control unit recognizes faults with the sensor based on the plausibility of what it is reporting, one way the control unit detects this is by rapid operation of the switch on and off caused by a loose connection or defective sensor - by playing with the gears they then pass this threshold which would not normally occur under normal operation and thus a fault code is set.
"I've been guilty of hanging around...."
Hajo06
Ecomatic Owner

Re: Gear display switch F208

Post by Hajo06 »

My wife was angry, the car is on the blink. The clutch works sometime not correct. :-(
I found out the mistake. My Software show me: DIGISWING – function 8 “Meßwertblock lesen” (result list reading ???) - “Anzeigegruppe 01” ( information assembly ???) - No.4 gear display doesn't work correctly. I looked for the switch at the gearbox. After “finger-breakup” I remove the switch. The plastic-housing of the switch was broken.
The shop man of the VW - authorised workshop ask me: “What's that? “VW No. 020 919 823 Schalter für Gangerkennung” (gear display switch)?????. The switch isn't available from his stock."
I ask angry “There must be an other stock!!!”. :-( Yes, the switch is available from central store in Kassel.
After 3 days I get the switch and I pay 70,45 Euro. After “finger-breakup” I installed the switch and the clutch works now correctly again. :-)
Hajo
Deylan
Finally has his VR6.

Post by Deylan »

When I first bought my car, I looked in the engine, and the Gear reconigiton switch was unplugged :)

What will we do when VW stop making the parts ? :o
Hajo06
Ecomatic Owner

Post by Hajo06 »

No, the gear display (recognition) switch F208 is only for the gear recognition.
For example:
If not NG 3-4 is recognised, the engine in the stand does not let itself starting.
If is recognised during driving with Ecomatic NG 1-2 or NG 3-4, the engine does not restart with the accelerator pedal.
If in the stand gear 1 is not recognised, one cannot start-up the car.
If gear R is inserted, the engine starts.

"Gear reconigiton switch was unplugged" ????? Tell me the number of the switch.

“VW stop making the parts”. VW is an empire. And as long as drive VW, VW wants to sell spare parts. :D
Hajo
Deylan
Finally has his VR6.

Post by Deylan »

I guess I should have figured that. :)

The gear recognition switch is F209 (also called gear monitor switch) link, this is the one which reports if you haven't pushed the gearstick in properly so digiswing knows whether it can close the clutch or not :)
Giga
Ecomatic Owner

Post by Giga »

i think i have problem with this sensor too, when gear is in neutral, gear shift light blinks, it thinks that it is in the 3th gear i think, and car doesn't start, when i push gear knob a bit left, light goes off and car starts. any solutions whit it? is there any places on the internet that i can buy this sensor?
Deylan
Finally has his VR6.

Post by Deylan »

You can buy this part from your VW dealers, the part number is : 020919823

It is the gear recognition switch mounted on the gearbox housing. This may not neccesarily be the problem, so I would inspect the switch first.

You can also test it using VAGCOM
Giga
Ecomatic Owner

Post by Giga »

I'll check it with VAGCOM tomorrow :)

sometimes it all three lights blink together, orange ecomatic light, gears light and the green light and engine turns off :(
Deylan
Finally has his VR6.

Post by Deylan »

Giga wrote:I'll check it with VAGCOM tomorrow :)

sometimes it all three lights blink together, orange ecomatic light, gears light and the green light and engine turns off :(
If all the 3 lights blink then a fault code should have been set - VAGCOM should be able to tell you what errors are occuring :)

The engine will switch off if it thinks neutral gear is selected - regardless of accelerator position.

Also remember that a few things will stop the engine starting or turn it off

The diesel inhibitor switch (on the expansion tank) if the hood is lifted.
If the door is opened while a gear is engaged, it will no longer restart unless neutral is selected briefly first.