Some engine photos

Glen
Diesel Expert

Some engine photos

Post by Glen »

Photos of the distributer pump...

Looks like your pritty standard Bosch VE rotary pump without LDA (ie for non turbo use).

Note the normal stop selonoid with white conector on the back, given the age of this car its probubly one of the last produced without an imobeliser. Later pumps would still have the stop selonoid but it would have a hard tamper proof cover over it with a coded conection coming out controled by an emobeliser unit on the bulkhead varifyed by a fixed code chip in the ignition key.

Under the exhaust manifold you can see 1.9TD cast into the engine block, showing it is a turbo diesel block. I think this means it features oil cooled pistons which is quite important for turbo engines. Lower down it should also have a turbo oil return thread which will be plugged. Aparently it is common for 1Y engines to be based on TD blocks though doubtless some aren't. Aparently VW sometimes fit things like bigger oil pumps to cars with things like automatics to make them heavyer duity so its quite possable the ecomatic recived such improvments and the TD block being one of them (wonder if it has the same pistons/conrods/bearings as a TD (AAZ)). I noticed in the parts book the ecomatic seems to use AAZ driveshafts rather than 1Y ones which are presumably slightly weeker.

Engines like the AAZ (1.9TD) seem to be slightly odd compaired to other VW engines. There are meany engine codes where engines that share the same power output, capacity and basic design feature different codes (whats the difference between an SR and an SB 1.6TD for example?) In both cases I think there are early and late versions of a given code that seem to have less in common than a contempery engine with different code. Back to the AAZ (or at least 1Z TDI) it seems different orientations can change blocks as an engine destined for a VW mounts transverse and is machined for such mountings but an audi engine won't take the same mountings yet shares the same engine code.
There are aparently about 4 different versions of distributor pump used on the AAZ. The biggest change being to the LDA. I don't think any AAZ has any boost enrichment anyway but whare as some pumps have a sort of fully functioning LDA only with a flat pin so it does nothing, others seem to have less of it fitted, maybe even making them alomst an 1Y pump. The AAZ was ment to be a clean, rather than powerful engine so to not smoke on light loads must fuel a lot lower than it could when on boost, but the base figure is probubly still higher than a 1Y. Maybe I should make an ecomatic turbo engine :twisted: