Confusion

Ecomatic talk and anything else.
[Guest/annonymous posting allowed]
gencha
Ecomatic Owner

Confusion

Post by gencha »

Hi guys,

I am a little confused with my car. In fact I've owned it for 2 years and am actually looking into a new one right now.
I never really took the time into looking into what the "Ecomatic" on the back of my car means.
Now that I did, I am slightly confused. My car is a 1993 Diesel Golf which has the Ecomatic label on the back.
Yet, the characteristics explained on the web don't really fit my car.
So either someone replaced the part of the car that has the label on it or the so called Ecomatic is faulty.

How can I detect if the car is actually an Ecomatic? I have german papers for the car.

Cheers
Deylan
Finally has his VR6.

Re: Confusion

Post by Deylan »

Hi Gencha!

In simple terms, the ecomatic does not have a clutch pedal, and will switch the engine on and off when you aren't pressing the accelerator.

It is possible that your car was an ecomatic and was converted to a standard vehicle.

Do you have an instrument cluster like this

Image (the 3 extra lights)

Usually the cluster is a giveaway if it was an ecomatic.
"I've been guilty of hanging around...."
gencha
Ecomatic Owner

Post by gencha »

Well, I do have a clutch.
The lights I would have to count in the morning. But it all look very familiar.

What I notice is, on another thread someone noticed that button on the windshield wiper dial.
Supposedly it's used to trigger the ecomatic itself.
I have that same button and was never able to figure out what it does (seemed like it didn't do anything).
Hajo06
Ecomatic Owner

Post by Hajo06 »

nice to meet you here.
My engine space looks thus.

Of course without text. The Admin will translate it to you certainly. :lol:
Hajo
Deylan
Finally has his VR6.

Post by Deylan »

If you have a clutch pedal then your car will not have ecomatic functionality. It has probably been converted to a normal diesel golf :cry:

You would know if it was an ecomatic within minutes when the engine turns off :lol:
gencha
Ecomatic Owner

Post by gencha »

Hajo06 wrote:nice to meet you here.
My engine space looks thus.

Of course without text. The Admin will translate it to you certainly. :lol:
Hajo
Thanks, I'm german as well so the language wasn't a problem ;)
Looks a lot like mine (just cleaner).
gencha
Ecomatic Owner

Post by gencha »

admin wrote:If you have a clutch pedal then your car will not have ecomatic functionality. It has probably been converted to a normal diesel golf :cry:

You would know if it was an ecomatic within minutes when the engine turns off :lol:
Yeah that's what I assumed after reading through this site. But I thought maybe the system is just broken.
Deylan
Finally has his VR6.

Post by Deylan »

Haha, I don't dare wash the engine bay on mine.

I was just looking at your website and it seems ecomatics would be a perfect match for you ;)

Sorry about not activating your account sooner, I think your domain name was why I didn't initially activate it :lol:
gencha
Ecomatic Owner

Post by gencha »

admin wrote:Haha, I don't dare wash the engine bay on mine.

I was just looking at your website and it seems ecomatics would be a perfect match for you ;)

Sorry about not activating your account sooner, I think your domain name was why I didn't initially activate it :lol:
Well I'm actually already set on what car I'll get next. I just wish I had looked into this sooner ;D
But given that you said a real ecomatic does not have a clutch, I also assume that it wouldn't have the gearshift knob I have.
All the mysteries behind this car. So mysterious... ;)

And, yeah, I get that a lot regarding my site ;)
I once sent someone a link to a programming related post I wrote and he flat out refused to click it :D
I also have other hosts but no email set up for those :(

Well thanks for the info guys
Deylan
Finally has his VR6.

Post by Deylan »

The ecomatic does have a manual gearshift actually, which is what makes it quite strange. :)

It's a strange feeling with the ecomatic, unlike an automatic which has a torque converter, it feels like a manual gearbox except someone else is trying to control the clutch depending what your right foot is doing.

It does it very well for the age of the car I have to say, the clutch control is very accurate and can set off just like an experienced driver would.

And that is with the car being 15 years old... I bet when it was brand new it felt even better.

I hope your next car is a Mk3 Golf ;)
Hajo06
Ecomatic Owner

Hajo's Confusion

Post by Hajo06 »

Fact is:
Gencha has a MK3, a coupling pedal and an Ecomatic label. 8-)
But the question is: Does Gencha still have an Ecomatic? :roll:
Not or not to be!! :!:
If he sends us a proof photo of his Ecomatic speedometer, we will accept him as a "cleaned Ecomatic". ;)

@ Gencha
If is a fun. I am glad about many new contributions of you. :lol:

A lot of MK3 Greetings from Germany Hajo
Deylan
Finally has his VR6.

Re: Hajo's Confusion

Post by Deylan »

Hajo06 wrote: If he sends us a proof photo of his Ecomatic speedometer, we will accept him as a "cleaned Ecomatic". ;)
LOL

I bought a spare ecomatic instrument cluster on eBay the other week.... I am not telling the price ;)

Speaking of which I'd love to connect an instrument cluster up with a tachometer for novelty to watch the rev counter going up and down :lol:
Hajo06
Ecomatic Owner

Hajo's Confusion

Post by Hajo06 »

I also like tachometres!
But, nevertheless, with a diesel he does not move not at all! :lol:
With the speedometers exchange is such a problem. :cry:
Almost every speedometer has another "stretch of way - number" (Wegstreckenzahl).
Show sometimes with http://www.ck222.de/ at "Golf 3 Tacho".
In the translation helps you: http://translate.google.com/#de|en|
Hajo
Deylan
Finally has his VR6.

Post by Deylan »

One of my Ecomatics had a replacement cluster at some point too, hopefully with a working auxillary battery, it wont break so quickly...

The cluster does recieve engine RPM signal too (cluster diagnostic programme 7) so I wonder how difficult it would be to connect a cluster with tachometer (I have a feeling the ecomatic has speed sensor output to ECU?)

Maybe a project to do when I get some free time in the next 10 years or so :p

Nice site btw, good to see people making all the different styles of cluster -- original is best though ;) ;)

Hajo06
Ecomatic Owner

Hajo's Confusion

Post by Hajo06 »

This is the speedometer for me. ;) ;)
My woman gets always angry „you go again more than 120 km/h!!!!“ :cry:
If I had this speedometer, I would drive 100 and it is silent on the front passenger seat! :lol: :D :lol:
Hajo
gencha
Ecomatic Owner

Re: Hajo's Confusion

Post by gencha »

Hajo06 wrote:My woman gets always angry „you go again more than 120 km/h!!!!“ :cry:
I feel your pain :D

Although I am very certain now that my car is far from an ecomatic, I'll try to get some dashboard shorts for you guys this week.
Sadly my "checkup seal" has just expired. So I need new large checkup on my car (for the germans, TÜV/HU) pretty much tomorrow :P So I have to invest money again just to drive around for another week or two to check out new cars. But the car is still in fine shape and I'll hand it off to my sister. She's driving a gas/petrol Mk3 right now with over 300.000km. So my diesel with 247.000km is somewhat of an improvement ;D

And, no, my next car won't be an ecomatic but an Audi A4. At least I'm staying in the VW camp ;)