"Rest hand on gearlever to stop engine switching off"

Ecomatic talk and anything else.
[Guest/annonymous posting allowed]
Deylan
Finally has his VR6.

"Rest hand on gearlever to stop engine switching off"

Post by Deylan »

One for you hajo :D

In a few magazine reviews for the ecomatic (probably with the prototype cars, or just writing what the engineers say it will do), some of them write that the car has such feature: if you put pressure on the gearlever (i.e., activating the gearlever switch), that the engine will not turn off to aid in heavy traffic, for example.

Both my ecomatics don't do this (switch definately works). I can only presume this feature wasn't put into the final cars?
"I've been guilty of hanging around...."
Hajo06
Ecomatic Owner

Re: "Rest hand on gearlever to stop engine switching off"

Post by Hajo06 »

One sees, these engineers write a little bit and have never driven with an Ecomatic.
Not the gearshift, but the Ecomatic-selector-switch in the windshield wiper switch!!!!
Hajo
Deylan
Finally has his VR6.

Post by Deylan »

I wonder if this was intended but never made it in to the design.. probably engineers thought it was not needed. You are allowed 5 seconds from coming to a stop in 1st gear anyhow :)

How often do you drive with ecomatic OFF? At the moment, I am driving with it off because the starter motor does not engage into flywheel correctly sometimes when cold, I need new starter motor... £££ :D
"I've been guilty of hanging around...."
Hajo06
Ecomatic Owner

Post by Hajo06 »

I use the mode "Ecomatic OFF" if:
- It is very cold. The engine should become quickly warm. The heating still brings no warm air. The "addition pump heating" brings not enough performance for a good heating.
- The streets are very smooth and slippery. Starting and clutch processes hinder the driving stability.
- With long mountain departures I need the engine brake. The brakes are otherwise overloaded.

For a new starter you do not have of enough pound. :(
If they look in your safe deposit. Maybe you have a lot of euro. :lol: :D :lol:
Hajo
Glen
Diesel Expert

Post by Glen »

I think I've found this feature by accident, it apears its not that well explained. Its not the switch in the gearstick that triggers it, its holding it in 1-2 Neutral, a movement thats probubly slightly more comfortable in a left hand drive; that seems to prevent my car from cutting out. Obveously it won't restart once it has stopped, and its not that handy for burnoffs as you still have to get it into gear which is not much faster than it takes to wake up and go when you left it in 1st and give it a hoof.

So is this the main resion why there is a 1-2 Neutral as well as the normal Neutral (3-4N), I was struggleing to see the point in the distinction.