Ecomatic talk and anything else.
[Guest/annonymous posting allowed]
Deylan
Finally has his VR6.

Cooling/preheating system overhaul this weekend

Post by Deylan »

This is on my to-do list this weekend:

Replace glow plugs with BERU OEM GN857 plugs
Replace Control Unit For Glow Plug Relay : 1H0 911 262 (£85!!!)

Drain G11 coolant and flush system entirely with water till water runs clear.
Run engine briefly without thermostat, filled with water to aid flushing.
Replace waterpump and thermostat with Febi OEM components (I think Febi is good stuff).
Replace waterpump pulley, and stretch bolts.
Replace auxillary drive belt with OEM ContiTech belt.
Replace electric water pump
Fill system with G12++ coolant mixed 50% with distilled water.
Ensure system is bleed entirely and thermostat is functioning correctly.

Parts ordered from AVS/vwspares.co.uk

Depending on how pushed I am for time, or whether I even attempt it this weekend (I don't want to be stuck without a car for Christmas), I will try and take pictures and do a DIY. Luckily, because of the absence of the engine driven PAS pump, this job is easier than it is on my AAM Automatic :)
"I've been guilty of hanging around...."
Deylan
Finally has his VR6.

Re: Cooling/preheating system overhaul this weekend

Post by Deylan »

Update: I got my mechanic to replace the glow plugs as I was struggling with the tools I had, it took him a little while too but he had a special glow plug tool, I'd have never got them off with my own tools due to injector pipes in the way, engine now starts effortlessly in extreme british winter :D

New glow plug control unit (relay) also installed, cost around £70.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrnvC6R_Axc

I have switched cooling system to G12++ today, changed the thermostat and also the electric waterpump. New electric waterpump was purchased from VWSpares for a bargin price much lower than I was quoted elsewhere!!

I ordered a slightly different model number accidentally which is a smaller pump - I think is probably slightly less powerful, but this is much better than no flow at all and I do not suffer heater output drop-off.

Car is running slightly hotter than I anticipated (around 95-100°C) which will I will investigate further.

Engine-driven pump next on list with new belts.
Glen
Diesel Expert

Post by Glen »

Was your electric pump not working before? Are they ment to run all the time the ignition is on, just when the engine is sleeping or dependant on temp? I've noticed that though mine sits at 88degC when driving (gets up to 90 when climbing Winnants Pass flatout for a few minutes (never had the fan come on, or felt the need for it, I actully have no idea if it works, the cooling system seems to get rid of enough heat from ram air), when the engine sleeps it doesn't take very long before the temp drops down to nearer 70deg. I don't think there is anything up with the guage or thermostat so could this just be localised cooling of the plastic sender housing as the coolent isn't flowing through it when the engines off, and if it was flowing would the guage show the temprature droping off so quick? It climbs back up pritty quick when the engine is back on, I'd say faster than it climbs following a cold start.

Nice video seeing the dash lights POSTing, I'm sure on mine all three ecomatic lights come on and go out together, the green one then comes back on a moment later - strange.
Deylan
Finally has his VR6.

Post by Deylan »

Glen wrote:Was your electric pump not working before? Are they ment to run all the time the ignition is on, just when the engine is sleeping or dependant on temp?
It had completely failed, I meant to get round to taking a picture of it. The new replacement pump is slightly different in size and a different part number.

They run whenever the ignition is turned on.

Glen wrote:I've noticed that though mine sits at 88degC when driving (gets up to 90 when climbing Winnants Pass flatout for a few minutes (never had the fan come on, or felt the need for it, I actully have no idea if it works, the cooling system seems to get rid of enough heat from ram air), when the engine sleeps it doesn't take very long before the temp drops down to nearer 70deg.
Nice, yours is behaving exactly how it should :) I reckon my engine is overheating due to another reason (timing off, bad injector).... I will find out for certain when I replace the thermostat on my other Ecomatic and compare what happens. and if neccessary, I will swap the thermostats round to get a definitive answer ;)

Fan speed 1 is extremely quiet, but like you say I doubt it ever comes on when going speeds above 5mph~ in UK weather.
Glen wrote:Nice video seeing the dash lights POSTing, I'm sure on mine all three ecomatic lights come on and go out together, the green one then comes back on a moment later - strange.I don't think there is anything up with the guage or thermostat so could this just be localised cooling of the plastic sender housing as the coolent isn't flowing through it when the engines off, and if it was flowing would the guage show the temprature droping off so quick? It climbs back up pritty quick when the engine is back on, I'd say faster than it climbs following a cold start.
Yes mine does that most of the time too. There seems to be some correlation between that and the temperature. Sometimes when fairly warm and engine has been run previously it will take several seconds after driving away before coming on. When it's extremely cold, it will stay on. I think your explination is spot on :)

Also, when you turn the ignition off on my other ecomatic, all the warning lamps briefly flicker, whereas on this one they don't, yet the PAS pump is briefly activated. Quirky.

btw I also got a sound recording of the noise my clutch positioner makes for you, i'll upload it for you soon. I promise! ;)

(I've not uploaded many pics or stuff recently because I was approaching my disk space limit for the hosting) :lol:
Hajo06
Ecomatic Owner

Post by Hajo06 »

I see this in such a way at my car
Ignition on - 3 Ecomatic lamps on - Selfdiagnostic control unit is in work.
3 Ecomatic lamps out - Selfdiagnostic finished and all ok.
Engine starts - Temperature indicator on, if coolant temperature under 40 °C !

Question of a German! I do not understand it. :?:
I have read the word “guage” also in the manual. :roll:
Is it a gauge, a display?
Gauge- guage, gage ??? Is there a difference?
PAS pump - vacuum pump V22 ???

@ Daylan. Are there news to your log-file?
Hajo